Welcome back to Chat Sh*t Get Fit, Let's Chat, Diets! This week we explore 12 top tips from the UK's National Health Service (NHS). If you're from the UK and search "weight loss tips" odds are that one of the top hits will be these very 12 top tips so we thought it was crucial that dive in and take a closer look. It's all fairly positive but we still get in-depth on all the points to ensure you fully understand and if there are any caveats.
The top tips covered are
- Do not skip breakfast "Skipping breakfast will not help you lose weight. You could miss out on essential nutrients and you may end up snacking more throughout the day because you feel hungry."
- Eat regular meals "Eating at regular times during the day helps burn calories at a faster rate. It also reduces the temptation to snack on foods high in fat and sugar."
- Eat plenty of fruit and veg "Fruit and veg are low in calories and fat, and high in fibre – 3 essential ingredients for successful weight loss. They also contain plenty of vitamins and minerals."
- Get more active "Being active is key to losing weight and keeping it off. As well as providing lots of health benefits, exercise can help burn off the excess calories you cannot lose through diet alone"
- Drink plenty of water "People sometimes confuse thirst with hunger. You can end up consuming extra calories when a glass of water is really what you need."
- Eat high fibre foods "Foods containing lots of fibre can help keep you feeling full, which is perfect for losing weight. Fibre is only found in food from plants, such as fruit and veg, oats, wholegrain bread, brown rice and pasta, and beans, peas and lentils."
- Read food labels "Knowing how to read food labels can help you choose healthier options. Use the calorie information to work out how a particular food fits into your daily calorie allowance on the weight loss plan."
- Use a smaller plate "Using smaller plates can help you eat smaller portions. By using smaller plates and bowls, you may be able to gradually get used to eating smaller portions without going hungry. It takes about 20 minutes for the stomach to tell the brain it's full, so eat slowly and stop eating before you feel full."
- Do not ban foods "Do not ban any foods from your weight loss plan, especially the ones you like. Banning foods will only make you crave them more. There's no reason you cannot enjoy the occasional treat as long as you stay within your daily calorie allowance."
- Do not stock junk food "To avoid temptation, do not stock junk food – such as chocolate, biscuits, crisps and sweet fizzy drinks – at home. Instead, opt for healthy snacks, such as fruit, unsalted rice cakes, oatcakes, unsalted or unsweetened popcorn, and fruit juice."
- Cut down on alcohol "A standard glass of wine can contain as many calories as a piece of chocolate. Over time, drinking too much can easily contribute to weight gain."
- Plan your meals "Try to plan your breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for the week, making sure you stick to your calorie allowance. You may find it helpful to make a weekly shopping list."
The bits in quotation marks are what they state on each point and the language used had a big impact on how we approached each point. Especially the breakfast one!
New to the show? Head back to episode 1 "Let's Chat, Covid & Fitness" where we give an introduction into who we are and talk about the current state of ourselves and the fitness industry during this covid pandemic
Make sure you sign up to the newsletter on chatshitgetfit.com as to get notified when we release the supporting blog post about this episode. Great to dip in and out of for information without having to listen again!
Find us on Instagram